Tips to Build a Strong Direct Mail Database
Direct mail has been hailed as a great marketing tool to reach new customers, but those customers
Know Your Target Demographics
Before you build your direct mail database, you’ll need to learn your target demographics and psychographics.
How do you figure out your target market?
1. Look at your current customers. Try to find threads of commonality in demographics and interests.
2. Look at your competition. Find out who they’re advertising to and determine niches within that market they may have overlooked.
3. Make a list of the benefits of your product or service. See if you can narrow down who your product or service will most appeal to.
4. Determine your geographic scope. How far in your area do you want to reach out? You can advertise on any scale from local to county to state to national depending on your company and budget.
5. Use trade journals specific to your industry for insights on industry consumers. Likely, your industry has already done their research on target customers and their behaviors, so why not use these very valuable insights?
Through research and
Once you’ve identified your target market, you’re ready to build your mailing list.
Building Your Direct Mail Database
There are two ways to build a direct mail database: encourage customers to sign up and/or buy a mailing list.
1. Use promotions, newsletters
2. Purchase mailing lists. There are two types of mailing lists: compiled and direct response. A compiled list is usually pulled by geographic area and can be segmented by demographics, income etc. A direct response list is a list made up of people who’ve responded to direct marketing in the past (whether direct mail, infomercials, etc.)
You can purchase mailing lists from direct mail companies like Preferred Direct. Click here to learn more about Preferred Direct’s mailing lists.
Analyze your Database to Create a Better Campaign
Once you’ve created your direct mail database, how can you use your database effectively? Analyze it! Here are a few tips to utilize your database to identify better with your prospective or current customers and get
1. Analyze Demographics. Are the people in your database wealthier or more modest? What age range? Do they have children? What’s their ethnicity? When you create your direct mail fliers/postcards/mailers, choose images that appeal to their particular lifestyle. For example, if your list is mostly females with children, make sure any photos or images you use include this.
2. Analyze Geographic Data. Where do the people in your database live? Do they live in urban, suburban or rural areas? Is there anything major in their local or state environments that you can mention that will help them connect with you? Use photos that reflect geographic region and lifestyle.
You can find ways to connect
Do you need help creating your direct mail database? Preferred Direct is a commercial printer and direct mail company that can help you put together your mailing lists, and completes the direct mail process from start to finish. Click here to learn about Preferred Direct’s direct mail services.
At Preferred Direct, we make sure to keep your cost down. You will have a project manager who keeps your print jobs on track. Our project managers stay on top of your print jobs and can answer any questions you have along the way. We even provide emergency print services for those
Call us toll-free today at 1-844-719-1848 or click here for an online quote.
Sources: crmtrends.com, wikihow.com, sageagestrategies.com, inc.com, smallbusiness.chron.com